Saturday, June 11, 2011

my little friend Molly.....

The Relay For Life brings this story back to the forefront of my mind and I would like to share it with you all............

I have a little friend and her name is Molly. I met her 4 short years ago when she was born into this world. Her mother is my son's former girlfriend and we have always remained close friends.....she holds a place in my heart. When Molly was born it was a scary time. I remember recieving the phone call from her mother like it was yesterday. A frightened voice on the phone telling me of her premature birth and now the complications. Molly was very ill, but over time she surprised the world of medicine and she became well. A precious baby girl who was living her first year as babies do. She then was given a gift that would have never been seen as such at the time. She got bronchitis and then pneumonia. These were the gifts.....how so?? A visit to the ER to recheck her bronchitis yielded a surprising discovery. It revealed a mass on her neck. A very dangerous mass.....possibly cancer? This would have not been discovered without the bronchitis or pneumonia.  I remember that call too. I remember sitting in the hospital with family and friends while the biopsy was being done. Molly was 15 months old......far too young to be enduring all of this. When the type of cancer was determined the long haul began. Chemotherapy it would be since the mass was in her neck and surrounding major arteries.....therefore not operable. Another blow. A PICC line is inserted into her tiny little chest and the chemotherapy begins.....eight rounds of it. She loses all her beautiful hair and this really seems to bring it home to all of us. This is real.......I was so sad for her and her mother. But she endured all of this like a trooper.....she did it! She has been well since then and has been living her life exactly the way a little girl should.

What I need for you to know is that this small girl is a gift to all of us. I believe she came here to share her story with us and for us to learn from it. We are the lucky ones to know her. Life shouldn't be that tough when you are that young. It just seems cruel. But I believe her life was tough so that we can live our lives in a way that will honor all that she has gone through. It's the only way to make any sense of all of this. If you are having a tough day think of her tough days while she was an infant. She has taught me alot. She is a special little girl who today is living life the way any 4 year old should. She's just being a kid......and that's perfect.

Lessons in life come wrapped in various packages......

Blessings to you Molly.......

No comments: