Tuesday, June 28, 2011

gardening my heart......

Ah.....this morning early I headed to my garden plot at the Community Garden site. It was early enough that I was able to enjoy the quiet time of just me and the garden although there was a beautiful cardinal that did keep me company for a while. The garden is new experience for me and it is a part of my country dream that I spoke of in my last post. I did grow up with a garden in our backyard but never took an interest in it. Now I have a big interest that began with the organizing of the Community Garden site. I wanted people to be able to experience the value of growing and eating good food. Initially it was more about them than me. The first year I didn't even have a plot. This year I have a plot with my daughter and we work on it together as a community of two and with the rest of the gardeners as a larger community. It works for everyone.

Our wonderful garden plot

growing like a garden should
If I had my home in the country I would have a garden just like this one. One where I can plant and water and weed and harvest. One that will feed my soul as well as my physical body. One that will inspire me to connect with the earth. This morning I was weeding along and could feel a blister beginning on my hand.......it didn't matter. I could feel the perspiration dripping off my nose........it didn't matter. I could feel the crink in my lower back........it didn't matter. I just need to be there with my hands in the dirt and a hoe in my hand. I need to pluck the weeds from the loosened soil and take them to the compost pile. I need to be among all those living plants and share in their beauty. It allows me to tend to the garden of my heart and for me that is a good thing. It's part of looking after myself after years of putting others first and pushing myself too far in other areas. The garden is a gift in so many ways for myself and it is a destination along the path of my life that is teaching me new lessons to live by. I love my little garden plot. It warms my heart and makes me smile..............

No comments: