Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Walking Meditation


Over the last 4 days there have been 4 different instances where "walking meditation" has been a part of a conversation that I have had with people and another was a posting on FB. When these circumstances come at me with such frequency it makes me sit up and listen to what is trying to tell me.


I was at a Reiki retreat several years ago where we were taught the art of a walking meditation. I truly loved the experience and yet did not maintain it for myself. I'm not sure why that was, but as we know we let life get in the way of so much. The meditation allows us an opportunity to be mindful of so much and yet this is not done with any great difficulty. The simplicity of it is the most beautiful part of the meditation. Just being in the moment of the process of each and every step and all that occurs with each lifting and placing of each foot. It really allows us to clear everything else from our minds and simply and purely focus on 'walking'....something we take so for granted.


The labyrinth that I spoke of in a post the other day is a perfect place to walk, but its not necessary for a walking meditation. A walking meditation can be done in your home or yard or down the street on the sidewalk. I hope that the weather warms up soon so that I can maybe head to the park or the beach and meditate on my walking. Obviously all of these references lately are telling me something and I need to listen.
My power walking is good for me, but a walking meditation is good too. Taking care of both the physical and the spiritual self is important to keep a balance for myself.
Blessings everyone.......

No comments: