Saturday, April 23, 2011

time to redecorate........

I love to decorate!....... even that is an understatement. It must be something connected to a past life because I feel such a passion about it. Maybe I was a famous designer or had a beautiful home in a former life. It's not at all reflective of what my home looks like today, but in my minds eye my home could be, and will some day be exactly what I dream of it being. I was at the library the other day and came across Barbara Streisand's new design book. It is a glorious book of the design work that she put into creating her current home. It's pretty much a picture book filled with wonderful photos of her home and all the work that went into its creation. I sigh with the turning of each page. I dream of how I can incorporate even a small idea or concept into my own home. My home will obviously never compare to hers but I can certainly use even a small design element and make it my own. I don't doubt that I will someday have the home of my dreams even if it remains to be where I currently am. We are empty nesters now and I really don't need more space.....well, maybe a bit more could work ?I just think it is so important to have your surroundings reflect who you are and how you feel. My home is my sanctuary and my surroundings help me to feel the calmness and serenity that I need when I come inside from the often big, bad world. I can rest quietly in my meditation room or I can cook something wonderfully tasty in my kitchen. My bedroom is a peaceful haven and the livingroom is a place for family to gather. Best of all is the dining room where we all sit as a family and partake of great food and conversation. My design elements and tastes have changed as I have grown and now I am heading into a time where changes are due. I am excited about beginning this next process and creating a new space for us to all come together. There are so many ideas in my head and I need to get them all down on paper and explore them fully. I will consult with a friend who's career is specifically in design and with her be able to put my ideas and her expertise into my reality. I will keep posting about how things are progressing. I can't wait to begin!

No comments: