Thursday, April 21, 2011

my yoga practice............

There are many people that are fiercely devoted to their yoga practice. I take mine only as seriously as it needs to be for myself. I have practiced yoga over the years and it seems to come and go with me. I guess that's the way it is with many forms of exercise or physical activity. We go through phases. Just recently I have returned to my yoga practice. It is a small habit in terms of time and effort, but it is making such a difference for me. I am almost addicted to the 'stretching' that I feel when I do the asanas and how my muscles respond. It's like they awaken and can then work to their full potential more easily. I love the 'twists' the best. The squeezing of my organs to help detox them is what keeps coming into my head when I practice them. In only a short time I once again felt how much my flexibility has improved. It truly is amazing. Sometimes my mind is not as quiet as it should be but I defer from allowing myself to feel bad about that. I simply then gather myself back to that place in my mind where I should or could be. That silent, empty but present place that yoga can bring you to. I need to practice halting my 'monkey mind' more but I figure that will all come. I put effort into staying present and seconds later I have wandered off in my mind already. I laugh inside of myself at my skill in being able to do this so easily. So I continue to work on this each time. It will come I'm sure. For me it's just so much more than exercise. It's my choice to look after myself in so many ways.....physically, spiritually and emotionally. Those 20 minutes of yoga each day are a way for me to celebrate my body and mind. It's like a gift I give myself every day and then get to feel the results each day also. So yoga is back in my life and that pleases me in many ways. I am in no way a huge devotee of yoga. I don't buy Yoga Journal or belong to a yoga studio. I simply know that my small yoga practice works for me and it is something that I love to do. It is peaceful to stand on that mat and let everything else fall away and know that the next 20 minutes are for my body and mind......a gift each day. Namaste........

No comments: