Friday, April 22, 2011

community garden work today..........



It was sod lifting day for the community garden sites. I had not been able to volunteer my time with needed jobs lately due to my own schedule so this was the day I was determined to help out. The weather was not the greatest but there was no rain and the temperature was above freezing just even a little bit. I made sure I was dressed in lots of layers to keep out the cold. We finished up the First Ave site and then headed over the the Kains St location. It's so great to see a group of people coming together for a common cause. We simply saw and understood what needed to be done and off we went. We really made short work of lifting the sod from all of the laid out plots and neatly piling it all up. There were men, women and children and even a pet came along to watch the work being done. I am looking forward to watching the gardens unfold and come to fruition this year. Last year was a struggle for our little group of women who were determined to see our city have a community garden. This year we have the backing of others and things are going well. I will be sure to post the progress during the planting and growing season! Can't wait!

1 comment:

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Yes, last year's community garden certainly made the news. I pitied the efforts that went into the project for the many who later had to walk away with no results in hand.

I surely hope this season fairs better.

Also from St. Thomas, please stop by my blog and pass along a hello.