Friday, February 3, 2012

the passing......

Tonight I was honored to sit at the bedside of a woman who's time was about to be complete here on earth. I had 20 minutes to go before my shift was over and I went to look in on her one last time. Her condition had been poor all day and I knew that her time to pass on was near. As I looked in on her for the last time I could see that her time was now very close. She had had visitors during the day who had sat quietly at her bedside, but right now there was no one with her. I could see that she only had a very short time left and felt that she should not be alone during her last moments. I held her hand and stroked her forehead in an effort to comfort her and allow her to feel my presence. In her eyes I could see a lifetime of experiences and memories. I silently wondered about her life and the woman she had been. Her breaths became slower and less frequent and finally they simply came to an end. Her hands were now cool to the touch and I could see the peace in her eyes. Her life here on this earth had come to a close and now she was taking on a new life in the hereafter. I hope that she is soaring like an angel now..........

I am very grateful for this special time that was afforded me at the bedside of this dying woman. We are not generally fond of death, but this experience was a gift. I was able to be with this beautiful human being whilst she took her last breaths here on earth and I was truly honored.

Namaste..............

No comments: