Thursday, November 17, 2011

Happy for real............

When I look around me I see alot of unhappy people. It makes me think in terms of how 'happiness' seems to be what we are all looking for in some form, but is it eluding us or are we just not letting it into our lives? I think it might be the latter. I know for myself I seemed to make choices for many years that when it came to the big picture I was certainly not allowing it, happiness, to show itself to me. Oh, little moments of happiness maybe were there but the BIG happy was not for sure. I watch people move through life and wonder now if unconsciously we block happiness or maybe we are buying into a watered down version of it. Alot of what we do to find happiness is external. We look outside of ourselves and seek out things or maybe persons that will make us happy. Now don't get me wrong, I can readily admit that there are 'things' that make me happy and yet I'm well aware that this is not the long lasting and fulfilling happiness that fills my soul. But if a person isn't aware that this version of happiness is limited it can create a life of constant external happiness seeking. And if it's 'things' that you are after to make you happy it can break your budget and that never leads to happiness. You can fill your days with this seeking behavior and end up being years into it and still be no further ahead. Aaahhhh.......elusive happiness. Is it designed that way so that you never really get there? Does the external attempt keep you wanting for more and therein lies the message. The whisper that is telling you that you're not understanding the true path to happiness? How long does your 'happiness' last? Do you go to bed happy and wake up still feeling it? I believe at least for myself and possibly many others that this is a choice. I can choose to be miserable or I can choose to be happy. People might argue that circumstances block or get in the way of our happiness and this in fact can be true to a point, but there is always a way of changing how you look at things and realizing that it can be different and therefore be better understood. Maybe it's easier to be miserable? I don't even like to think that but it may in fact be true for many. It's what they know and anything else would feel uncomfortable. So maybe then being happy in small doses is an approach to altering that? Small steps towards change. Changing our perspectives and then changing how we feel. Of course we are not going to be happy all the time, but we can decide how long we want to have it exist to the left or the right of us. I like mine in the center of myself and when it is shifted because of circumstance it's never far away and can quickly be returned to its heart home. I decided that I could be in charge of my happiness personally and from within and when I made that shift my happiness quotient increased dramatically and it lasted alot longer. I make the choice every day. I favor it as the best option for me. I know it's the healthier choice in all facets for myself also. It increases my emotional, physical and spiritual well-being and any choice that does all of that is well worth my efforts.

Sometimes we need to 'weed' through our life and decide what is going to go and what is going to stay. Let the energy draining things go and bring in more of the positives that will bring happiness along with it as a bonus. Being happy isn't a 'thing'. It's a side effect of how we live our lives and the choices we make. I like my happy life much better than the one of the past.

Have a 'happy' day!

No comments: